Ayios Neofytos Monastry
9 km north of Paphos
Founded at the end of the 12th century by the Cypriot hermit and writer Neofytos.
The 'Egkleistra', an enclosure carved out of the mountain by the hermit, contains some of the finest Byzantine frescoes dating from the 12th to 15th century. The monastery houses some of the most beautifl icons of the post-Byzantine period of the 16th century and incorporates a very interesting ecclesiastical museum.
40 km northest of Paphos, (the monastery can also be reached from Kykkos Monastery in te forest)
Tel: 26 722457
Set in beautiful surroundings, the monastery is dedicated to 'Our Lady of the Golden Pomegranate'. Though originally founded in the 12th century AD, its present building dates back to 1770, and houses a colletion of important icons and treasures. An impressive religious cerremony and celebrations are held here on 15th August. The old winery of the monastery produces some of the best vintage wine of Cyprus.
Panagia tou Sinti Monastery
This is an abandoned monastery on the banks of the Xeros River. The central nave of the monastery, dating back to the 16th centery, is in good condition and is considered one of the most important Venetian buildings from that period. In 19977 it received the Europa Nostra award for the restoration and conservation work carried out there.