20 km west of Pedoulas vllage
Tel: 22 94 27 36
This is the most famous and the richest monastery in Cyprus. Founded in 1100 and dedicated to the Virgin Mary, it ownsone of the three surviving icons ascribed to Saint Luck. The silver-gilt icon is enclosed in a shrine of tortoise-shell and mother-of-pearl and stands at the front of the iconostasis. The first President of Cyprus, Archbiship Makarios III, served here as a novice. At his own wish he was buried at Throni, 3 km west of the Monastery, and not far from his native village of Panagia. The Museum of Kykkos houses an important collection of consecrated vessels and Cypriot antiquities.
5km northwest of Platres
40 km from Limassol, on the Platres Prodromos road
This beautiful monastery was originally founded in the 13th century. The present church dating from 1731 contains many valuable icons including a priceless silver-gilt icon of the Virgin Mary from Asia Minor.